Thursday 25 July 2013

Bugger..........................

Engine out (again) and 30 years of grime slowly scrapped, blasted and wiped off.

  • Cracked engine case.
  • Two holes in engine covers.
  • Cylinder barrel nuts seized and rounded.
  • Exhaust stud/bolt threads completely shagged. 
  • Gear selector welded on.
Quite how it ran when I picked it up is beyond me.I think thats one for the scrap heap. Mental note for next time to clean the donor if it's an unknown quantity.

The cheapish build for an urban runabout is now getting way past where I wanted to go, so some serious contemplating is required.

Replacement engine? - eBay has plenty, all needing rebuilds, from £90 to £300. Will they be any better? Engine Upgrade? - How about measuring up for a DR lump, will a PE250 fit, or how about a TS400? Engine rebuild? Add another £150 plus to replace the cases, barrel and covers? Scrap the project, sell the good bits and bathe my burnt fingers in an ice bucket.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Tim
    I've been following your project with great interest as I am doing an almost identical build (I pick up my bike with some tuning and a new pipe off Mick Abbey on Monday) except yours is much better!!
    Whenever you start a project you work out how much you want to spend and if you are lucky it's only twice as much by the time it's finished.
    So take a deep breath...........
    Buy a cheap engine and rebuild it yourself?
    Cheers
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Steve. I think I knew deep down I'd continue with it. eBay searches were in place a few hours later, and a rebuild it will be. The Mick Abbey tune/pipe is interesting. I've had a couple of emails about his pipes and he's top of my list to approach for the TM style pipe. Regards, Tim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just bought one of these for £100 in bad condition but with 2 engines, 1 without a piston http://i.imgur.com/RZ78ZHy.jpg Wish me luck! yours is looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Luck Killerbanjo, hope you have some fun.

    ReplyDelete