Monday 14 April 2014

Pure Satin, Rattle Can of course......

So, armed with a couple of rattle cans full of "Tough Black - Satin" the frame gets three coats, with a quick rub down in between. OK, so it wont stand up to a close up inspection, but from even 3ft away, its finished well enough, and besides, I really have no intention of parking it anywhere near a show arena.






I was always going to use Simoniz Tough Black after PJ1 was taken off sale for failing some (probably ridiculous) European law (there's a new formula now and its available again) after it was recommended by a friend who used in some chequer plate on his Land Rover, but I had read on a forum somewhere that this paint is very temperature sensitive, needing heat to cure it, so I've been waiting patiently for a day off corresponding with some Sun. I'll give it a few more days just to be sure, but after drying in the garage until touch dry, it been baked in direct sunlight for a day. So far so good.

In the meantime:

  • I'll paint a few sundry parts (I need the side stand fitted as I dont have a bike stand)
  • I need to re-fabricate the headlight bracket as it sits the light a bit too close to the headstock. 
  • I've picked up another rear wheel which had a TS Hub, laced to an alloy Akront rim (it was cheaper to buy this than have my wheel rebuilt)
  • I'm pretty set on painting the wheels (Satin Black again)
  • I've also decided to replace the headstock bearing with a tapered bearing kit, so I've ordered a Pyramid kit (£34 ouch)

No comments:

Post a Comment