Thursday 8 November 2012

Oil tank.

The stock tank just won't work. Well, It work's, in that it doesn't leak, oil goes in the top, and comes out the bottom when needed, but it just won't work.

Cruddy, hideous thing (it did clean up, and looks nearly new now)


I'd picked up a car alloy catch tank, thinking this was along the right lines, it's not. I then thought perhaps an earlier model steel tank rather than the ugly plastic stock tank would work, but at the time, I couldn't find one without paying silly money, and even sillier money to ship it from the states.

Shapes nicer, and this one is on ebay at reasonable money for a change
I stumbled on a petrol lawn mower fuel tank on ebay, the only bidder with a .99p start price. It was kinda what I wanted, a steel tank at least.

Worth a punt at 99p

The mower tank got me thinking, and I ended up with this! It's a bit wider than I want. In fact twice as wide as I want, but I could work with it, and I love the glass fuel bowl.

I've got to use that fuel bowl somewhere

Brave enough to try welding for real, the tank was cut in half, a new peice of steel cut to shape, and welded back in place. Ok so there was some splatter, but it's air tight! I had hoped to use the other half, trimmed, re-shaped, and re-welded, as the base for a battery tray, but if I'm honest, I blew a bloody great hole in it with the welder, so that's binned.




I'm happy with the end result though. Bobber style in side profile, all steel, and look's better than the plastic original.

LED Tail light's been ordered, delivered and fitted. Look's sweet.



Now, I need to start on the exhaust.



Although not in the picture, the original header pipe has been cut, two bends cut and shaped, and ready for tack welding. Lot's of work to get the tail pipe where I want it still, and brackets need fabricating.

No comments:

Post a Comment